Monday, November 8, 2010

Navigating the Kitchen

As I began my 11th week in Denton I could no longer bear the thought of deli turkey sandwiches and lean cuisines. In attempts to expand my culinary skills and to broaden my weekly menu, I decided to bake my very first TURKEY

image via realsimple.com
I set off to the grocery store in hopes of the perfect turkey. Being my first time to purchase I had no idea the characteristics that defined a perfect turkey so I grabbed an 8-pound turkey and headed home. I also purchased an onion, celery, turkey bags, and a roasting pan
  

Because the turkey was frozen I had to wait a day to cook it. The next day I preheated the oven to 350 and took the bird out of the refrigerator. I washed it off and patted it dry. I was disgusting but a necessary step 

Next was the worst part. I had to rub the raw bird with butter and cover it in spices. Due to the lack of ingredients my spices consisted of salt, pepper, and paprika 


Then I filled the roasting bag with flour to prevent it from bursting. I placed chopped onions and celery stalks in the bag as well to give the bird more flavor 


Then I placed the greased and seasoned bird into the bag and sealed it with the twist tie. I also cut six small slits into the bag, and placed it in my oven




I baked it for a little over three hours, and it was perfect. The final product on the bone did not look very appetizing so I carved the turkey and this was my final result





A plate full of delicious turkey 
and
 the satisfaction of knowing that I can bake my very own turkey

Happy Monday,
Until Then,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. wow amy. i am impressed. i haven't tackled that one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amy i was laughing the entire time. sounds just like you (especially how you refer to it as "the bird" the whole time), i just wish i had been sitting there to laugh and watch in person. great job betty crocker!

    ReplyDelete